Monday, September 7, 2009

This Old House

So, too many crazy and I guess, funny, things have been going on here lately not to post! I'm going through some self-changes and I'm trying to focus on myself (i.e. losing weight/getting in shape, finding a church, trying to stay better in touch...), so one of my goals is to blog more often. I must say, it's quite therapeutic.

So, funny story number 1 from a few weeks ago:

Most of you (all 2 of you that read this!) probably don't know that we have someone who rents our basement. He is super nice--he came with the house! The couple that lived here before us rented the basement to a young man who they found from their church. He is a landscaper and needed a place to live. So, they took him in. He does the yard every week and pays rent. So yes, our house came with a live-in gardener! :)

Well, he knocked on the door on a Tuesday night about 3 weeks ago and told me that the water wasn't draining well in the bathroom downstairs. So, the next day I go get some Liquid Plumbr, leave it in his mailbox and then Thursday I left to go to Americus after work for my grandmother's birthday. Sunday night, he knocked on the door again (with the bottle in his hand) and said, "You need to come see this." Well, the toilet had overflowed, obviously days earlier as evident by the dried blobs on the floor (I won't go into detail, you get where I'm going) and there was water standing in the tub. It reeked. I wanted to cry because I had no idea what to do.

Well, I was able to talk to John and he reminded me that we purchased Home Warranty service...So, I called them. Only $60 to come clean the sewer line. Not bad right? Well, after a less than desirable experience with the Rooter guy, he informed me that there are roots in our line, which means we will probably need a new pipe. But it would be $300+ for the camera to see if it is busted or not. I'm going to call a different, trustworthy plumber to come check the pipe.

Well, I still had to get the issue about the cleanup resolved. I called this company that the Rooter guy suggested; minimum $1500 for cleanup. So, I called State Farm and they said they would cover it...but our deductible is $2000. So, after almost having a panic attack, I called my in-laws to see if they had any ideas. My AMAZING mother-in-law volunteered to come help clean it up. So, we put on nasty old clothes and a clean white dentist-like mask and went to work. We got it all cleaned up...for FREE! I can never thank her enough for that.

I still need to call the plumber, but everything has been ok so far. I'm growing up! :)

I'm going to try and post more often...There are way too many funny things to update on!

1 comment:

brandy said...

oh Lindsey...bless your heart! I would have no idea what to do if that happened to me! I'm glad that it all worked out! I miss you and hope you and the doggies are well! Love you!