Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Gold Rush: 0-4

So, once again, we will not be able to make it to Gold Rush this year. John was supposed to have drill last weekend, but because of the Columbus Day holiday they moved it to this weekend. I was really happy at first because that meant we could paint! But then I realized it meant that for the 4th year in a row, we can't go to Gold Rush. I at least felt better that some of the people that I wanted to see were not going to be in attendance either. So, I did find solace in being able to blame the Army for yet again interrupting our lives.

That is, until this morning. I received an e-mail update from one of my bank customers on his wife's CarePage. See, we found out at the beginning of the summer that she had some form of cancer that the doctors were never really clear about. She thought it was just a pinched nerve until it escalated into a trip to the ER. That's when they found out the news. From there, it was downhill and fast. She went through several rounds of treatment, with none really working except for making her sick. Last week he updated saying that they could no longer manage the pain at home and took her to a hospice facility in Duluth. I had a feeling it was coming, but as much as you try to mentally prepare for something like that, I don't think you're ever really ready. The good news is that they are a strong Christian family, so he is taking comfort in the fact that she is no longer in pain and is now in Glory with our Father. I honestly don't know how people can cope with the loss of a loved one without this comfort. I can't imagine..

So, I found out that the funeral is on Saturday, which I'm thankful for because I was afraid I couldn't leave work. So, I'm at peace now with the fact that I won't be at Gold Rush yet again.

I didn't need the Church BBQ or Roasted Corn anyway...

3 comments:

The House of Insanity said...

Hey! So I am commenting. This saddens me because she is young and I am sorry. My grandmother died last year of cancer (all over and ignored for years by docs) and my thoughts were "She no longer suffers, it is my heartache to bear". I find peace in the fact that she is lucky to be with our Lord and Savior and no longer in pain. I am sorry for the loss

MB Shaw said...

What is her name? Is it Michelle?

Amanda L said...

Ha. I forgot all about him hitting you. I am fairly certain it was Spiderman. I am so pumped you have a blog. I didn't make it to Goldrush either.